Saturday, August 15, 2009

A 10-year-old recounts her experience of recovering from the H1N1 flu








|
PUNE: When this 10-year-old student of Abhinav Vidyalaya tested positive for H1N1 flu, her world came crashing down. Fearing the worst, she was

admitted to the Naidu hospital. But that is when things became different and began to change for the better.

"I was very tense on receiving the reports that said I was H1N1 positive, although I had half expected it. However, once inside the isolation ward at the Naidu hospital, it was a different scene all together. There I found two of my classmates, some people a few years older than me and a lady my grandmother's age."

Her parents, who were initially worried about how their daughter would respond to the fact that she had tested positive, were relieved when she obediently followed all the instructions. They gave her a cellphone for communication, since they were not allowed to meet her till she recovered. They brought her drawing books, deck of playing cards and change of clothes, since she was to stay there for the next five days.

Said the girl, "Since I had the cellphone with me, my parents, cousins, relatives and my school friends kept calling me time and again. I would tell them I was fine and that I was having a nice time. We passed the days watching movies, playing cards, games, drawing, painting and the like."

During the five-day stay at Naidu, she watched all the latest Hindi films. "My mother would keep inquiring whether I needed any more DVDs to watch, but I turned it down since we were having fun as it is. I also want to thank the doctors and the nurses at the hospital, who took such great care of us."

She said the doctors would explain the intricacies of swine flu, safety precautions and other things related to the disease. "I even drew a scene of the Naidu hospital on my drawing sheet, wherein I showed the entire ward doctors wearing masks, beds, patients and so on. I also took a video of the ward and later showed it to everybody at home."

After she returned home, it was a welcome she had never received before. Her friends greeted her with cards and flowers, even as her parents decorated her room as a surprise for her.

"I had a nice time at the hospital, although nothing beats being home. Though I was sad that for the next seven days I was confined at home, my friends and relatives kept visiting me and helped uplift my mood."



No comments:

Post a Comment